Our Lady of Perpetual Inebriation

in nomine lagoena et crapula et ebrietas sancta

Monday, March 06, 2006

Caol Ila

I was at my second favorite liquor store on Saturday, Chalet Liquor. When I first started shopping there, it was mostly out of convenience, as it was the closest large store that wasn't MGM. They had little in the way of top shelf labels, but unless I was already in the old neighborhood, Top Valu (crappy name, but they have an amazing selection of single malts for being a no-name strip mall liquor store) was a little far to drive if I was just looking to get a fifth of cheap gin or vodka. However, in the last few years since I moved to Crystal from Nordeast, Chalet has been carrying a much wider selection of imports of all spirits, and specifically whiskies.

As I walked down the whiskey aisle, I spotted Caol Ila, a label I hadn't seen before. I'm sure a true connoisseur (read: whisky snob) would claim to be well aware of said label, and would have a Charming Anecdote concerning said label as well. Anyway, being a sucker for particularly Gaelic whisky names (Caol Ila means "the Sound of Islay"- it seems poetic, but actually refers to the distillery overlooking Islay Sound) and an even bigger sucker for an Islay, I picked up the 12-year-old bottling. It was the only one available, though my little whisky book claims it has also been bottled at various times in 13, 14, 15, 17, 19, 20, and 21-year-old bottlings, with proofs ranging from 80 to 120, depending on the age.

I have to say, I am impressed. For the record, I don't really do the official tasting notes, consulting my approved list of adjectives, and only drinking from a nosing glass. I would say it was a lot like Laphroaig, but smoother, and... oilier? It's tough to describe, outside of "really freakin' tasty."

In fact, tasty to the point that I drank myself silly, and recall little of Saturday night. Sunday morning, however, I discovered the downside of Caol Ila- nasty, nasty scotchover. Probably one of the worst I've ever experienced. I do seem to get them more from Islays than other scotches (I suspect this is an attribute of all really peaty and smoky scotches) but this one tops 'em all.

That being said, I still bought another bottle.

Photo Courtesy Scotchwhisky.net

0 Comments:

Add a comment